The search for Rechargeable Batteries

With the new camera, I need to get new rechargeable batteries. I did some digging and found the highest mAh is 2500mAh and the fastest charger is 15 minutes. I have not decided which to buy yet.

Energizer

Energizer have a few kind of chargers, the 15min charger, the 30min charger, the car charger and the regular chargers. The energizer web site is rather rich in information, especially on how rechargeable batteries work. There are also information on other batteries types and also how to care for your batteries and a whole heap of batteries information. Best battery site I have seen, with nice cartoonist illustration and animation. The Technical Information is available, but it was not detailed enough for my liking, and this is the only drawback that the site has.


Charging Time

Cost

15Min

$3x

30Min

$27

Car Charger (2 hrs)

$26

Regular charger (4-8hrs)

$10


The 15min charger spec has the following statement, and I did not know what it really means, and so I sent a mail to Energizer tech support.


“Charges one to four AA or AAA NiMH size batteries This charger must
NOT be used for Alkaline

in 15 minutes. (up to 2200/850 mAh)


The site says I will get a response within 24hours… will see what they say. I am particularly concern if the charger can charge beyond 2200mAh batteries. Today we already have 2500mAh, and I am sure, pretty soon, we will have 2700 and subsequently 3000mAh batteries. If the charger cannot support those future batteries, then I may not want to get this charger. Also though the cover says this charger charge at 15min, but the spec says 0.25hour.. hymmm.. doggie…


Duracell

Duracell web site was rather disappointing. I wanted to find some technical detail on the charger and the site offer little to extremely limited informations. It only have the type of products that they are selling and some nice animation, but that’s it. Duracell also have the 30min charger and they boast this is the best in the industry, maybe the print may be a little outdated, yet again, I see all other companies like Rayovac and also Energizer claiming the same thing with their 15min charger. I guess in our own mind, we are the best, and so it goes the same to companies… anyway, after a disappointing pursuit, I abandon the Duracell brand and move on.


Rayovac

Rayovac was also as disappointing as Duracell. Their site is similar to Duracell, with little information and worst still, poor in design and without animation. I guess they put little effort in selling their products through the web. After a few look at their 15min chargers, and could not find any technical informations, I abandon this product. There were very little informations on their batteries.


GP

GP on the other side has the best technical informations on their products. They post the full product spec / usage guide online. There are a heap of details that comes with it. Their fastest charger is 30 minutes Powerbank U-Smart and boast a heap of features including capable to take 110V & 240V, car charging function and batteries up to 2500mAh(this is something I don’t understand, is 2500mAh a limiter?), making travel easy. However, this product cost a fortune. It was selling at Singaporean Dollar S$89 a unit and 4 batteries. It is the most expensive I have seen. Not sure how much it is in M’sia, this model is not available in where I am in US.


No Decision Yet

I have currently set my hearts on the Energizer 15min charger. I am waiting for the Tech Support to reply my question regarding 2500mAh batteries and will make my way to the shops during or after Thanksgiving. Maybe I can be convinced to get other brands.

In addition, Imaging Resource has done some Battery Test last year and they have a good battery line up. However the information is more than a year old, and I believe the new 2200mAh and 2500mAh batteries in the market now should have a better performance. By the way, I didn’t know Sanyo got make batteries.. hahaha..

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sanyo is the biggest portable battery supplier
Peter said…
Sanyo's highest rating is 2300mah and goes for about RM10 a piece.
Kew said…
Well, that shows how ignorant I am... now I know.. hehe

Thanks for the info Peter.. I guess I will not hold out for Sanyo then...

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Prints

Gmail - What would you Do?