DVD Burner & Media

The question I have been asking myself is, do I need to upgrade to the DVD burner? Do I need the extra space that DVD provides? Today I backup all my photos onto the CD media, and we know that CD media have a data life of approx 5 years, which means, to be safe, I will have to transfer my photos to new CD every 3 years (to be safe). CDs are relatively cheap today however limited to 700mb of space. DVD on the other hand, offers triple the amount in space, but still the same of data life 5 years. Apart from the additional space which would translate to less media, there are nothing much to it. I think I will still stick to my CD-R’s for a while, till my next computer upgrade, maybe 8 years from now.. by then we may have better media..

Comments

Kew said…
use or no use after burn... the chemical properties will change nevertheless...

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Prints

The search for Rechargeable Batteries

Gmail - What would you Do?