Nirvana - With the Lights Out (Box Set)





The new Nirvana box set was released late last week and I was curious to find out what was in the box set. The set comes with 3 CD of 61 Nirvana songs that have not been released before and one DVD. I am not much of a Nirvana fan, but was intrigue by some of their songs. I felt compel to check out the latest installment from them since Kurt eliminated himself. This release is full of live or demo (at least it sounds like it) recordings that are raw and unedited or enhanced. This is how Nirvana is like, loud, crude and at times, senseless. I believe a fan would love all the 61 songs, but for me, I will stick to the selected few. I would not spend my money on this box set. I would rather buy individual tracks from itunes or elsewhere. “You Know you are Right” was one of the last songs that Kurt wrote and sang and was tainted with some legal issues prior. Critics says that this was Kurt’s best. To me, I love the acoustic guitar moves and the way he sings the song which haunts. The recording was not that clear, and was rather soft. If this song were to be dressed up, it would be much easier to digest.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I just posted on my blog (http://blog.monkeywork.net) that I got tihs boxset. I realize that you can purchase many of the songs via ITMS but I would say the DVD itself makes the boxset worth buying - the video's help me revisualize the amazing time the late 80's early 90's were. Plus some of the songs on the DVDV that aren't on the albums are great, the version of Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam that they play from the concert theatre was 10x better than Unplugged version. Plus the video for "Seasons in the Sun" was great :)

Nice site - come check out mine and share your thoughts :)

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Prints

The search for Rechargeable Batteries

Gmail - What would you Do?